Ugly Christmas Sweater DIY

December 17, 2018


Well guys... I did it.  I crafted an ugly Christmas sweater that won a prize.  I am not the craftiest person, but when I do craft I go all out.  I had seen the same picture going around Pinterest and wanted to re-create it, but with a twist.  I wanted to be more of a transformer version.
My Pin-spiration
I wanted to be able to crouch down and look like a full tree with skirt.  So, I made my way to The Dollar Tree, Michaels and Ross.  Here is what you will need to craft yourself your very own Ugly Transformer Christmas Tree:
  1. Oversized green sweater or dress (I had a dress).
  2. Large hoop.
  3. Garland.
  4. Small ornaments.
  5. Pom poms.
  6. Star tree topper.
  7. Battery powered lights.
  8. Safety pins.
  9. 2 large tree shaped ornaments.
  10. Tree skirt.
With exception of the dress, hoop and battery powered lights everything can be found at The Dollar Tree.  All together the prize winning ensemble cost me $32.00.  My prize recouped what I had put out plus some.  Including, but not limited to, bragging rights.

Steps to make your Ugly Christmas Sweater:
  • I didn't own any oversized green sweaters or dresses, so I went to Ross and found a green swing-style dress in the clearance section that was perfect and only $9.99.  I started by pinning in the large hoop at the bottom of my dress.  I couldn't find a hoola hoop, so I improvised with a wreath ring wire frame that I found at Michael's.  Being the lazy crafter that I am I used safety pins for everything.  So, I pinned the hoop into the hem of the dress about 3-4" apart to ensure that it was secured all the way around.  This is the base of the tree.
  • Next step was to start wrapping the garland.  I started with the base and went all around the perimeter and then moved up in a spiral pattern until I reached the shoulder.  I then wrapped the arms separately.  I made sure to leave enough room for me to be in the sweater and to be able to move my arms, so wrapping a bit loosely was key.  I secured this with the safety pins as well.
    Garland is on!

  • Once the garland is secured you will want to place your ornaments and pom poms strategically on the dress to look like they are "hanging" on the tree.  I made sure to space them out and not jumble them up in specific places.  Remember to also hang them on and around your arms.  You want to look like a well decorated tree when you pull the transformer move!
  • After all ornaments and pom poms are in place you can start wrapping the lights.  I found a small set from Michael's that had a few settings.  I wrapped them around the garland and put the battery pack in the base of the tree above the wreath ring and secured with another safety pin.  It was easy to reach and turn off and on when I was in the dress.
    Hard to see, but she is lit up!
  • Last and final step is to pin the tree skirt to the base of the tree.  I pinned it to the front of the dress at the base and secured it to the wreath ring with safety pins.  I wanted to make sure that when I crouched down the skirt would spread out and look like an actual tree skirt.  Voila!  You are all done!
I hung the tree shaped ornaments over my ears like earrings and found a cute headband with a bow on it to look like a present for final touches.  My sweater was a big hit at the Ugly Christmas Sweater party.  Each person from my team won a prize for their sweaters--we really brought the spirit to this event.  
Frosty the Snow Globe, Transformer Christmas Tree & Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer

Do you have an ugly sweater party this season?  Post any comments or photos of your ugly sweaters down below!  I can't wait to see what you have crafted!  Let me know if you use my DIY!  Merry Christmas and happy crafting!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagram Posts

© Lashes & Leggings. Design by FCD.