Fall 2018 Hair Trend: Mushroom Brunette

December 3, 2018


I always feel like I need to match my hair to the current trends of each season, but I never really stray from my "norm" and tend to be a bit cautious.  I like to think that I am more adventurous than I actually am.  I usually scroll through Pinterest and save a million pins of the same look.  This time was a little different!  I got a wild hair and decided to do something a little more "trendy" and looked up what some of the hair trends were for Fall/Winter 2018.  One that stood out to me was a "Mushroom Brunette."  This trend gets its name because the cool toned brunette and ashy blonde shades look just like a mushroom.  It was beautiful!


I have never had a cool toned/ashy hair color before.  I usually lean towards warmer tones-- reds, golden/honey highlights and chocolate browns.  I had decided I was going to do it!  I reached out to my stylist (shout out to Markiesha at Fringe salon in Baltimore!) and set up an appointment.  When I got there we discussed what I was looking for when it came to this trend.  I was leaning more towards the beige highlight/balayage spectrum instead of the more grey/silver tones we were seeing in some inspiration photos.  I wanted to do this because the toner would eventually fade and I wanted to be left with a look that I would still love.  Markiesha teased my entire head of hair and hand painted the bleach-- I'm telling ya'll she is good!  I processed for a while since I had to reach the brightest blonde possible.  She mixed up a toner to get the perfect "mushroom" color for my newly blonded hair.  After we rinsed and washed the toner she cut and styled my hair.  I wanted to keep some length, but had some specific requests-- one being that it looked good in a ponytail.  Weird?  Maybe.  Necessary?  For me-- yes!  I don't wash my hair every day.  Who am I kidding-- I don't wash my hair more than probably once or twice a week!  So, when I don't wash my hair I have a method... Day one: curled.  Day two: curled with some dry shampoo.  Day three: curled with lots of dry shampoo.  Day four/five: ponytail with a teased root to disguise anything I don't want shining through!  I have a favorite wand, flat iron and curling iron that I can share in another post.  She did an overall blunt cut and added in some texture and longer layers to add some volume.


I am so pleased with the final product!  I feel like I gained a little sass with my freshly beige/blonde locks!  

When I was checking out Markiesha suggested a colorwash shampoo to help maintain the color in between visits and to help keep my naturally warm/brassy color in check.  I bought the Gem Lites Flawless Diamond Colorwash and have been obsessed.  It is a colored shampoo and comes out of the bottle almost navy blue!  I was nervous at first, but can confidently say that it is one of my new favorite products.  The toner has faded and my hair has maintained a soft, beige blonde and I love it!
Follow me on IG @lashesandleggingsblog
Any hair trends that you have tried and loved?  Any that you have tried and hated?  Let me know below in the comments!  I want to get a little more wild in the future.  I have wanted pastel pink or lavender hair for a while.  Who knows... maybe next time!

Post a Comment

Latest Instagram Posts

© Lashes & Leggings. Design by FCD.