Resolutions For A New Year

December 31, 2018

Photo Cred: The Found Wanderer Blog

This past year has been a rough year both personally and in the world.  I am so ready for the start of a new year and a clean slate.  Holidays are over and its a time to start fresh.  I made a lot of changes in my life in 2018 and I want to stick with those changes and possibly bring some more into my life this year.  Resolutions are always such a big part of starting the new year.   Everyone wants to make those changes and stick to them.  I have some ideas and wanted to share them with you guys!

res·o·lu·tion
/ˌrezəˈlo͞oSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. 1.

    a firm decision to do or not to do something.

    "she kept her resolution not to see Anne any more"

    synonyms:intentionresolvedecisionintentaimplan



This year I will…

Start a new habit:
I would like to pick up the habit of making my bed daily and keeping a tidier room.  The bedroom is meant to be your sanctuary and I love my room, but it can get a bit messy sometimes.  Trust me when I say that I have gotten way better at this over the last few years, but I can do better.
At Home With Caitlin Wilson

According to The Spruce there are 5 real benefits to making your bed in the morning:
  1. It starts your day off right.  It might be a small accomplishment, but making the bed sets the tone for the entire day.
  2. It encourages you to keep the rest of your room tidy.  Even the most organized, beautiful bedroom looks less tidy with an unmade bed, and the converse is also true: When the bed is made, it helps the rest of the room look styled, even if it is not perfect.
  3. It leads to better productivity.  Bed making becomes a keystone habit, something that kickstarts a chain of other good decisions throughout the day, and gives you a sense of taking charge.  It can lead to a greater sense of well-being and stronger skills at sticking with a budget.
  4. It lowers your stress and improves your mood.  You spend roughly a third of your life in your bedroom, and the appearance of your room has an effect on your mood.
  5. It just looks and feels better.
Read more books:
I am more of a "summer reader."  I don't really read unless I am by a pool or on the beach.  I don't really even read then unless the book I have is really holding my attention.  I am one of those people that rolls her eyes if someone tells me to "read a book" if I'm bored.  I need to not be that way.  When I find a book that I enjoy I like reading, but it is difficult for me to find that specific book that sparks my interest.  I have been interested in starting or joining a book club in Baltimore.  Anyone else interested?  Just letting you know-- I like light, easy reads.
Learn a new skill:
I have been on a weird kick of wanting to learn embroidery.  My fascination with floral and botanical embroidery is borderline unhealthy.  I have so many patterns and kits saved on Etsy, but I have never pulled the trigger.  I started following people on Instagram admiring their work and even coerced (wasn't hard) my friend Chelsea into wanting to learn too.  This is a skill I would like to acquire in 2019!
Sarah K. Benning Embroidery
Go on a visit to:
2019 is a year for connecting with old friends and family.  I have friends and family all over the east coast (and some west coast) that I need to visit.  I also want to plan a group trip with my old college bests like we did earlier in 2018.  Everyone will have had their babies, I will have become an Auntie again (two times over!) and we can all get together.  I also have cousins that I need to meet!  I want to connect to those that matter the most to me.
Break a bad habit:
One of my worst habits is negative self-talk.  I can't even take a compliment without putting myself down right afterwards.  Someone could compliment my outfit and I will point out a flaw.  Someone can compliment my makeup and I will complain about being oily.  I don't know why, but I have always been like this.  I want to start working on saying something positive about myself every day.  I know that is silly, but I think it will help.  I want to start journaling and this can be part of it!
Do a good deed:
Over the last year I have been toying with the idea of volunteering at GiGi's Playhouse: A Down Syndrome Achievement Center.  I have the volunteer sheet bookmarked on my browser and have been meaning to complete it, but haven't pulled the trigger.  The website states: "The very first Playhouse was created to be an inspirational and dedicated place for families to celebrate their child and benefit from free, purposeful programs that unleash joy, confidence and continuous improvement.  More than 40 Playhouses empower children and adults to achieve their 'Best of All' and to pursue their dreams."  After watching a few season's of A&E's "Born This Way" my heart aches for those families that don't have a place for their children to grow and be accepted for who they are.  I think I would really benefit from this volunteer opportunity and would grow myself.

Try something new:
There is so much to do in Baltimore and I  want to start doing more!  I have come across so many different opportunities with blogging, marketing, classes, workshops, etc.  I found a place in Hampden called Baltimore Chef Shop that boasts itself as a teaching kitchen and hosts cooking classes of all kinds.  I also found a place in Remington called B. Willow that hosts plant-making workshops.  Both of these things sound so fun and like a great opportunity for socializing and just getting out.  I spend a lot of time at home and want to start doing more.


I've read somewhere that you aren't supposed to share your resolutions for fear of either breaking them or being "judged."  I am kind of using this as a form of accountability.  I am more likely to try and do things if I put them out there and people know about it.  I don't like disappointing or letting people down, so I feel like this may hold me to it.  What are some of your resolutions for 2019?

Post a Comment

Latest Instagram Posts

© Lashes & Leggings. Design by FCD.