My Current Makeup Routine

November 5, 2018


Admittedly, no makeup days are great, but I do enjoy wearing makeup.  I have heard "Oh you don't need makeup!" or "You are beautiful without all of that stuff!" Thank you, but please know I don't wear it for you.  Now, I don't always do a full glam face, but I do wear makeup pretty much daily.  I have my every day routine set and wanted to share my favorite products with you!

Foundation: I like a liquid foundation for myself.  I used to use powder foundation, but as my skin is aging (relax-- I know 33 is young) I have preferred a liquid.  I am curious about how a cream foundation would work for me, but I haven't been brave enough to try that yet.  Maybe I will do a review of a few cream foundations in a future post!  Comment below if you would like to see that!  My favorite foundation of the moment is actually from the drugstore!  I am obsessed with the Covergirl Vitalist Healthy Elixir right now.  This is a hydrating formula that is infused with vitamins E, B3, B5 and has an SPF 20!  I'm telling you-- it's so good!  It has a buildable coverage; I'm a full coverage kind of gal and this is perfect!  It has a dewy finish, but doesn't make you look greasy.  The only downfall is the shade range.  I am fair, but not the fairest of them all (despite what my inner princess tells me) and I just make it into the lightest shade.  I could probably go lighter during the winter months, but this is the lightest that they offer.  The only thing that I would change about this product is that they would carry a more inclusive range of shades.

Covergirl Vitalist Healthy Elixir Foundation

Concealer: Here is where I have been changing it up recently.  I am a die-hard lover of Double Duty Beauty Shape Tape Concealer, but it is on the pricier side and I have only repurchased it once.  I love how it looks, but would like to save money where I can, and if I have found a dupe for it I will use that instead.  Luckily I have found two.  I used the Makeup Revoltion Conceal & Define full coverage concealer, and I loved it.  I mean it was $7 AND a good product-- sold!  The only thing I didn't like was the scent.  It smelled a bit medicinal, but if you aren't sensitive to that I would totally recommend it.  Currently I am using the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind.  It is full coverage, but not thick.  I used it years ago and forgot all about it!  The applicator being attached to the product is convenient; however, I don't like how messy the bottle can get.  That is literally my only draw back.
Maybelline Instant Age Rewind: Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer

Setting Powder: I am here to tell you that if you think this is a step that can be skipped, you are WRONG!  You have just covered your face in liquid products, and they need to be set in place otherwise they will melt right off.  I have and always will use Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder.  It is light enough that I don't feel cakey, but heavy enough to lock my makeup in place!  I have found a trick that has helped with my setting powder and I will never go back.  Apply it with a damp beauty sponge.  Tap the product you need into the lid and dip in your sponge.  If you have oily/combination skin like mine, you can apply a heavier amount in your t-zone and then lightly dust the rest of your face.  Trust me-- it's amazing!  
Laura Mercier Translucent Loose Setting Powder

Contour: This isn't a necessary step, but I like it.  Adding dimension to my face makes me a happy Carlye.  My all time favorite contour powder is Sombre by Kat Von D, which is in the Shade + Light Palette.  Right now, mine is out and I don't have the refillable palette. So, my dear reader I've run into a dilemma.  In  its place I have started to use the contour color in a limited edition contour & highlight palette by Tarte.  I like a cooler undertone for my coloring, so this shade was perfect.  I like this powder, but it isn't my Sombre.  I will probably purchase the single pan of that once I am finished with this.
Don't Be Afraid To Dazzle by Tarte Cosmetics
Bronzer:  I have two favorites.  Both are on the pricier side, so I apologize.  But not really because they are beautiful!  First is the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Bronzer.  This bronzer has a luminosity that just kills the game.  It gives you the best bronzed glow!  I hit pan on mine a few months ago and needed to get a replacement.  I had been eyeing up the Marc Jacobs O!Mega Coconut Bronzer ever since its limited release last year!  I saw that they were adding it as a permanent piece to their collection, so I had to pick it up!  And we have been in love ever since.  It smells delicious and is the perfect combination of warm and cool tones.  I don't know how else to describe it!  I just hit pan last week and I am dreading the time that it runs out.
Marc Jacobs O!Mega Coconut Bronzer

Blush:  I have so many favorites in this category, but what I have been using lately is the Nude Blush Palette by BH Cosmetics.  I found it at Target for... wait for it... $9.99!! What?!  Yes-- and there are 10 shades!  This palette includes the perfect nude shade for all skin tones!  I love that these give a light wash of color.  They are pigmented, but not too much.  I love them!
BH Cosmetics Nude Blush Palette

Highlighter: My all time favorite highlighter is Champagne Pop by Becca Cosmetics.  It is a champagne peach dream and it is GORGEOUS!  It's not a blinding highlight upon first application, but you can build her up to SHINE TO THE GODS!  Not much to say other than-- obsessed.
Champagne Pop Shimmering Skin Perfector Pressed Highlighter

Eyeshadow: I don't usually wear eyeshadow daily, but when I do, I go for a simple brown.  I think that browns are the easiest neutral for a day-to-day look.  I have so many eyeshadow palettes (post coming soon), but my go-to recently has been the Jaclyn Hill palette by Morphe.  This was a collaboration with Morphe cosmetics and my fav Beautuber (Beauty YouTuber) Jaclyn Hill.  If you don't know her you should-- I love her. This has 35 colors that range from warm to cool, matte to shimmer, and everything in between.  It has neutrals, pops of color, and glitter for when you want to be a little extra.  Did I mention that it is only $38?!  That's only $1.09 a shadow!  You can't even get those prices at WalMart!  It's an amazing palette and I cannot recommend it enough!
Morphe x Jaclyn Hill Palette

Eyebrows: I have found a new favorite in the Anastasia of Beverly Hills (ABH) Brow Definer pencil.  I like it because it isn't too sticky with wax, but has enough to help keep the hair in place.  The tapered shape is great for getting thinner, more precise lines as well as thicker lines to fill in space.  It is dual ended with a spoolie, which makes it even better!  I follow this up with the ABH tinted brow gel and those girls aren't going anywhere!  Always remember, your brows are sisters, not twins.
ABH Brow Definer

ABH Tinted Brow Gel

Mascara: I have two favorites and I tend to switch it up each day.  Those are Betters Than Sex (BTS) by Too Faced and Roller Lash by Benefit.  I like BTS because it makes my lashes look longer and fuller.  It really is a miracle worker!  I like the Roller Lash because it curls my lashes and lifts them.  It is a lighter formula and doesn't make the lashes as full, but it lifts and separates.  Love this one as well!  I prefer a dryer mascara formula, which is what you get with these two.  If it is too wet it tends to weigh my lashes down and gets literally everywhere!  Pro tip: I always buy travel size mascaras.  Mascara expires after 3 months, so if you buy the smaller one, you are more likely to use it all up before it expires.
Benefit's Roller Lash Mascara
Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara
Setting Spray:  I have been a long time lover of Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray.  It locks my makeup in like no other.  That is still my ride or die, but I have recently become a big fan of the MAC Prep + Prime Fix+ Shimmer in Goldlite.  It's shimmery, but not glittery.  It sets my makeup and gives me the perfect glow.  Combining the two is perfection!  *Honorable mention: Morphe Continuous Setting Mist.  Can be found in Ulta and is amazing!
MAC Prep + Prime Fix+ Shimmer
Lips: Chapstick is a must.  I usually slap some on before I start my routine to make sure that my lips are prepped for whatever lip product I choose that day.  I am a huge lipstick fan and have entirely too many (says who really?).  I have a ton of glosses that I love too, but for my every day routine, I usually stick to a pinky nude gloss by NARS called Chelsea Girls.  I was introduced to this gem by Jaclyn Hill.  This is the perfect every day color.  And the formula is not too sticky, and not too slippery.  In the past few years I have gone through too many tubes to count!  I currently have two in my purse!
NARS Chelsea Girls Lip Gloss
And, done!  A simple face-- maybe not for all, but for me it is!  I understand that this routine may not be for everyone, but I have gotten it down to a bit of a science for getting me out the door in the morning.
Before (brave post lol)
After























Do you have any holy grail products that you use daily?  Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments

  1. Hey girl!! Looks great. I recently switched to cream and I’m never looking back. I always switched my make up from liquid to minerals like they were seasons. Now I’m on cream and not once have I had the urge to go back! My fav is Maskcara Beauty. Yes I do sell it, but honestly can tell you this has been the best product and I have seen a ton! Hahah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda! Yes, I have a friend that sells Maskcara Beauty and I am interested in learning more. She has been super helpful and has given me a ton of information. I'm happy to hear that you are loving it too!

      Delete

Latest Instagram Posts

© Lashes & Leggings. Design by FCD.